Tuesday, July 22, 2008

REVIEW : The Dark Knight


You have to see this film tamal, and if you cannot enjoy this, I pity you.
Seriously you should see this, it's so much fun
I liked it.
I loved it.
Try to see it without analyzing it too much, that way you might enjoy it.

These were the advise given to me by my friends, all of whom have liked The Dark Knight to a certain degree. The numbers are in. TDK has the honor of the highest opening 3 day collection ever, 156 million $.That’s just the US alone. I am pretty sure, come Friday , the 7 day worldwide collection figures will hit a cool 250 million easily. So what did I think of this film? I will get to that in a minute, but seeing as my opinion might be lets say somewhat unpopular I need to clarify a few things.
I admit, I let the media frenzy bias me against the film.
I do not like Nolan's interpretation of Batman in the previous film so there is that additional bad aftertaste.
I also admit I was a tad jealous, during my college years I had talked my friends to death about what I would do if I was allowed to make Batman, That included calling the first film The Dark Knight. Hah, I was ahead of my time! It also included plans for a 11 part epic structure, charting the fall and return of the caped crusader. Aaah such grand dreams. Anyway, back to the topic.
The hype surrounding Heath Ledger's performance really got me riled up. Comments like who is Jack Nicholson, and that he is more talented than Marlon Brando by award winning film critics stank of hard selling a film. If anything, this felt like a landmark win for the marketing and publicity division of Warner Bros. These were my thoughts even the night before I went to watch the film. Today morning, on my way to the theatre, I swore that I would try to be as unbiased as possible.12 hours later I think I have sufficiently digested the film to be able to write a review that should be able to explain my feelings. Please understand, this is not my bid at showing off just how elitist I am or how commonplace everyone’s taste is. I have the distinct feeling that I am probably not the audience for this film, so my opinion hardly matters. The verdict is that people love it, and there will be more of Batman in this vein.

Batman , straight from my childhood is my favorite superhero. So understandably the emotional investment in this is far greater than you can imagine. When I saw Batman Begins, when I figured that Nolan had turned Batman into a ninja and he was getting slapped into his senses by toms and janes, I couldn’t help but be repulsed by it. I remember that’s the only time in my life, that I wanted to walk out of the theatre. So before going to watch this film I thought it would be better if I saw it as a standalone rather than a follow up to that atrocious film. So without much further ado, here is my critique. Warning, spoilers galore.

Story- I liked the fact that the joker tells everyone a different origin story, I like the idea of not explaining his origins. But for all the supposed realism in the script these points bothered me a lot-
Joker gets beaten up a lot in the interrogation room, but no scars, no bruises . Bruce Wayne suddenly figures, in the Dent dedication party someone is coming to kill Harvey Dent? HOW?? Someone explain to me how the sonar works, because I was under the impression that only
the phone created by Lucius fox could do them, not any phone. If that is indeed the case, then
that renders the whole plot point of Batman finding the Joker to be completely stupid. Gordon
dies, but wait, he isn't dead after all. Why such an elaborate ruse? It seems it was set up purely to surprise the audience. Because his death wouldn’t have drawn out the joker, or gotten a confession out of any mob boss. With the joker's disfigured face, he is walking at the front of the police guards and no one notices him? The batman, supposedly the smartest superhero of them all gets his gears through Wayne Enterprises but keeps a long paper trail to have a two bit executive find them and try to blackmail fox about it?
Also the realistic look of the bat suit notwithstanding, the cowl and neckline looked eerily like
Azrael's batsuit.Not cool.But that’s a minor fanboy complaint.

Acting- First and foremost, as much as I love Christian Bale, and I do LOVE that man's work, he is plain shitty as Bruce Wayne, and his Batman voice is laughable at best. Note Christian, hoarse isn’t scary, hoarse is...hoarse.
Michael Caine , Gary Oldman and Aaron Eckhart do their roles very well, specially Eckhart. Although I didn't see much chemistry between Eckhart and Gylenhall. But in her minor role, Maggie's final sequence was touching.
Morgan Freeman played....Morgan Freeman. God I hope he gets some good roles, I miss the old him.

Now for the actor of the hour. Heath Ledger. May he rest in peace.
There are these quirks about his portrayal of the joker, that are quite good, like how he licks his face every now and then, he always looks at everyone with a little tilt in his head. Pity he never gives his maniacal laughter up close, the two times it came, it was seen from his back and from a distance. I would have wanted to see his eyes then(this is where Nicholson looked forgive the pun batshit craaaazy). I admire the man for having the balls to take on Jack Nicholson. One particular moment though deserves mention, You can't see the joker, but he tells one victim to look at him, and in the final time shouts "LOOK AT ME!" .That was good.

Is it oscar material? Honestly I don't know. I guess for me in the big picture I see so many far greater portrayal of evil men, which should have gotten Oscars( like Kevin Spacey as John Doe in SE7EN or Ralph Fiennes as Amon Goeth in Schindler's List), but didn't that this hardly seems like one deserving of that award. Still, quite good work. This is a different Joker though, and it would be unfair to compare the two. Lets not forget, even Burton's Batman is non-canon, and he made Batman into a murderer. I guess my gripe is that the joker got reduced to a murdering a few people at a time, when for the most part in the comics he has done crimes and murders on a much larger scale. Considering the films take no prisoners attitude, I think it could have been quite possible to do both. The joker in this film feels like another Hollywood psychopath. In the comics, he is unpredictable and quite smart. He stays ahead of everyone else because his insanity makes people think he is just in for the ride but he is someone locked in a circle of trying to top himself, and you also get the feeling that there is a method to his madness.


Action- This is my biggest gripe about the film. The action is for lack of a better word, very under whelming. Except for the shot where the bat mobile rams into the big rig truck, I found no other action shots to be memorable. For a 185 Million dollar film, and that too a big superhero film, I would have expected much better action. And some of the bat bike cgi was plain bad. Before you cringe, let me give you a few examples of films done for nearly the same budget, which in my opinion had far greater action.

Die Hard 4- 110 mil
Transformers-150 mil
The original Batman film-35 mil only!
Even the original Hulk- 137 million.

Sure , I don't expect Transformers to happen in a Batman film, But my complaint isn't the lack of any particular kind of action, but rather, a lack of real imagination of awe inspiring scale(again by comparison of scale, batman begins had far greater stakes).Take for example, the original jokers final attempt at creating mayhem. Jacko goes out in a ticker tape parade, announcing that he will be giving free money, knowing all the time that people's greed will bring them out and will be prime fodder for his machinations. The whole set piece feels near operatic. And the showdown is also much larger than life.
4 days into the film, and there is already talks of a posthumous Oscar and a best picture
oscar.IMDB lists it as the best film of ALL TIME, beating the likes of Schindler's List, Godfather and a host of other films. Forgive me if I don't get on that bandwagon. I didn't like the ending for one, the last lines by Gordon was cheesy enough to remind of of the 60's Adam West Batman show. And Two face reduced to being a puppet in the Joker's hands? Sigh.
One last gripe, and a major one if you will-for that brilliant setting where one ferry has the bomb trigger for the other one, I don't buy the cop out conclusion to that, that the people, after seeing what the Joker can do, don't break from their civilized lives and destroy each other. To me the film would have been redeemed a LOT if only they would have killed each other off, thereby giving the joker a very skewed legitimacy,(also in turn testing batman's faith a lot more cruelly) that civilization is but a mask. For all the shouts of a realistic bat world, this stretched credibility into a filmy 'life is beautiful, people aren't beasts' ending. Blah. On a side note, I personally would have shown some people refusing to participate in the vote itself, refusing to stoop to the Joker's level. This to me would have shown the best in humanity, and coupled with the worst, that is the people ready to kill off others in a bid for survival would have made it a spectacular plot point.


For me this film was lackluster-I guess my disappointment measures directly proportional to just how close they got to getting it right. When Nolan was selected as director, I hoped for the best-sadly that was not to be. The only highlight of this film was Heath Ledger's last performance.
I wonder how this film will be seen once the frothy mouthed frenzy dies down and is seen solely on the merits of its story, rather than the glorified and untimely death of a fine actor.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ashlee said...

As you well know, I don't even like Batman. Batman Begins was the first I had seen, which was a viewing forced upon me by dear Ellim, the most batman-obsessed person I have ever encountered. I didn't really understand it at all but Chrstian Bale is one of my favorite actors (though not as batman, the voice is just too silly for words). But, the hype about Heath Ledger inspired me to see The Dark Knight, and to force my dad to come to share in the awful. So let me start this by reiterating the fact that I don't know shit about Batman, and that doesn't bother me at all.

It's my understanding that the standard super hero comics can have many different story arcs and tangents, correct me if I'm wrong, where the heroes are not quite reinvented, but reshaped over time. If this is indeed the case, then what is wrong with having a director's vision superimposed over the story? If he does not include his vision, then where is his mark upon the film? If I were to perfectly replicate a photograph in an oil painting, did I really create anything new and worthwhile? Or have I just been an elitist asshole, showcasing my superior ability to replicate, and my total dearth of creativity.

Next point. I don't find Marlon Brando to be an example of superior acting ability. I couldn't understand him 50% of the time in Godfather, and the other 50% he was putting me to sleep. So by that standard, then yes, Heath Ledger is much better than Marlon Brando.

I chalk the sonar phone issue up with the rest of comic techie-jargon-jujitsu. Let's examine Watchmen. How the freak does Dr. Manhattan reassemble himself? How does Rorschach's mask change into only symmetrical blobs? How does Nite Owl's ship travel in water? Did you allow those queries to keep you from enjoying the novel? No. You didn't.

Gordon pretended to be dead to protect his family from being hurt, he said that a few times.

Do you look at police officer's faces? What if there are a hundred of them, dressed all alike, at a famous man's memorial service, in the middle of new york city. Are you examining officer's faces? It's also entirely possible that if more than one unit is present, which, for the mayor speaking in public, there absolutely are several units present, do you think they all recognize each other? Probably not. Even with crazy ass scars.

If you want to consider the budget of transformers, which had no high-budget actors, they were able to put a sizable portion of their money into cg. And as we both agreed, transformers had one of the worst scripts of all time. all time. TDK, on the other hand, had Chrstian Bale, Morgan Freeman, Gary Oldman, Aaron Eckhart, Michael Cain and Maggie Gyllenhal. If they had used the level of cg that transformers did, they also would have had to CG a good portion of their starring cast members. Maybe in the next installment they'll heed your suggestions and we'll see Optimus Wayne and Megadent.

My major issue with this film is its length. One film ends and another begins so that we are left with one and a half movies.

If you want to talk about cheesy dialogue, then by all means let's look at some of Arnold's terminator lines. The ending lines of TDK don't even come CLOSE. The lines in the Hellboy trailer are so forced and unnatural and yet you seem to love that film... I don't see how you can pull these lines out of the TDK as outrageous. Be consistent!

The fight scenes were okay, not spectacular, but I'm guessing they're trying to cover up some lack on Bale's part. But whatever, I'm sick to death of endless, fast fight scenes that leave me feeling epileptic.

This film made me feel like Batman isn't a worthless affair after all.

4:04 AM  
Blogger Tamal said...

If you have felt batman is worthless then thats your opinion.Note, i mentioned that he, being my favourite superhero, my emotional investment is way higher and would judge the films more harshly.
As for transformers, if you cared to read, i mentioned that i do not expect transformers like action in a batman film, but what i felt was missing was the grand scale of things.It felt , at least to me that nothing much other than personal quirks were at stake.And if sarcasm is all you can offer, then it doesnt leave room for a discussion.
As far as imitating/recreating a work exactly goes, thats again subjective.Your bias towards one style of painting is coloring your opinion. Some would call it a good work. And just creating something new also can be seen as elitist attitude, like thinking that your opinion is great enough that it allows you to change a 75 year old character to your whims.Films dont have the luxury of comics, where a one shot graphic novel can be seen as non canon.
Now for marlon brando,brando has acted in a lot of films, but unfairly known only for godfather. I would invite you by all means to see some of them before you join the who is greater stupidity.
Now, watchmen.first and foremost, watchmen didnt claim to be a hard science work. Whereas nolan has stated ,over and over again that his batman will be the real world thing,working on real science.Thats why i judged his work based on HIS OWN STATEMENTS. Rorscharch's cloth has been given its due explanation, just like the nite owl's ship in watchmen. Manhattan is pure magical sci fi.But he is the deus ex machina of that story.
Gordon did it to protect his family? When did the joker attack anyone's family. If anything he attacked individuals.
I strongly suggest you see terminator and hellboy before you start using them as arguments regarding bad dialogue.But that wont happen anytime soon, so again what is happening is just your opinion.Which i have already clarified in the beginning of my post, that it is exactly what it is, my opinion, and i fully understand that DK lovers wont agree with me.
Lastly, the only point i agree with you, i am sick too of quick cut fight scenes. IF you had seen the other films, this problem has been plaguing batman films only since christain bale and chris nolan joined.

Ultimately it just boils down to individual tastes, and like i mentioned i am the minority in not liking it AS MUCH as the rest of the world, so my opinion hardly matters. And no offense to Heath Ledger, but he has had a short career, unfortunately. To be compared to someone who has had so many films under his/her belt is an unfair and wholly silly comparison,because he had a long way to go to prove his mettle. Still he was one damn fine actor. But a lot of this whoopla is more because of his death than his acting. Had he been alive, his role wouldnt have generated this level of frenzy. Barring the examples of fine villianous performances i gave, even edward norton was amazing in American history x and primar fear, which was his debut film! But if all these guys didnt win, why should heath be different because of his untimely death? But again, thats just my opinion. And i apologize for the harshness in my reply. i guess we all fall prey to becoming fanatical every now and then.

12:26 PM  
Blogger Aditya Saraogi said...

tamal, sincere request.pls pace out your blog...you have got to regulate ur emotions...this blog is just too much to read under one heading. There is a lot that which I would have liked to respond to but I really dont know an appropriate start and end to my response..Even your previous blog had too much content..i will try and gather my thots again to frame a response

8:47 AM  
Blogger Tamal said...

You are right, my posts tend to become too long.Looking back there are some paragraphs i could have completely let go of. I will keep that more in mind in the future.

12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this 

page
View My Stats